The location, we would like to tell you more about now, locates in the heart of region called Haná. Olomouc has always been one of the most important cities in Moravia. When plague hit the town badly at the beginning of the eighteenth century, it was no wonder citizens of Olomouc decided to commemorate victims of this horrible disease in quite a typical way – by building a Plague column. Not as typically, this Holy Trinity Column is monumental enough to be deservedly enlisted by UNESCO World cultural heritage list in 2000. The 35 meter-high sculpture took 38 years to construct and when it was consecrated on September 9th 1854, even the first couple of the Monarchy decided to attend the occasion. Empress Maria Theresa and her husband Francis I honored the celebration of creation of this most outstanding example of such a monument on central Europe, completed in the characteristic regional style known as “Olomouc Baroque”. Town’s citizens’ pride for the sculpture immediately became so big that when Olomouc was under siege, they set out to plead with the Prussian general to negotiate no cannon shooting at their Column. Prussian general was very liberal and so you can admire this UNESCO enlisted jewel unharmed to this very day.
Founded in the twelfth century, the town UNESCO enlisted town Kroměříž originally had the purpose of the trading settlement at the early-medieval trading routes crossroads. Beginnings were very rough though. Although the town had the protection of Bishops of Olomouc, who possessed the village, and that the status of the site was elevated to “town” in the thirteenth century, religious wars of the fourteenth century wounded the whole area very, very badly. The peak time of Middle Ages were then quite silent in Kroměříž, although the local castle was built on earlier foundations in the 17th century. Today the castle represents uniquely preserved Central European baroque aristocratic residence. The complex includes several gardens of English and Baroque style. Yet in 1848, the Constituent Assembly of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was transferred to the city. The development began in that time that led to city’s elevation to the highest level of art- and spiritual importance for the entire Czech kingdom. Lots of leisure time possibilities around the town add to a number of exhibitions, festivals and conferences, too. The gardens and chateau of Kroměříž were enlisted to UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List in 1998.